 Trains / 19693
Re: 12v motor in 9v trains - how?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 22:40:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Chapman writes:
Apart from the concern of running the motor built for 9v at 12v Ben's method
requires breaking open the casing, building the 4 contact bushes and fitting
them and connecting them internally. He also says "putting things together
might be a bit tricky". Perhaps I wasn't clear with my checklist but the
whole process took a little under an hour.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

it took maybe 3 hours to convert the first motor. Then I did 2 at a time and
needed less than 2 hours to convert 2 motors. An that included all works:
making the connecting bushes, opening the housing, drill the needed holes etc.
That is not so much work. Most complicated has been to find fitting springs:
those are very fine and offer only very low forces. A spring from a ball pen
would be way to big and strong....

What I think to be not too nice on your solution is the following: 12V 7865
motors are quite expensive (or rare, which is nearly the same). In comparison
to that 9V motors are common like basic bricks. New ones cost 25 bucks (if
someone has parted out cheap sets you may get new motors cheaper), used ones
are even at much lower prices to be found.

Kind Regards,

Ben

Wouldn't converting the 9V motor as Ben Beneke described it have been
easier? http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/9v_12v/9v_12v.phtml#convert has all the
details and seems a lot easier and safer.

Good luck!