 Trains / 19678
19677  |  19679
Subject:
12v motor in 9v trains - how?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 22:18:48 GMT

Hi,

I wondered how, or even if, people have put 12v motors into 9v trains. The
motors themselves are almost identical in build but the 9v motors have those
side pieces and the wheels are slightly bigger - very noticeable when you
put a 12v plain motor in place of a 9v one especially on the larger engines
with another set of wheels (e.g. Santa Fe). It just doesn't look right.

I searched on the newsgroup and web but couldn't find any reference to
people overcoming this so I wondered if people don't bother or work around
it somehow?

Anyway, I decided to try and convert a 12v motor to 9v appearance and
succeeded thus:

* I removed the old wheels from the 12v motor (levered off with flat
screwdriver and pliers)

* I removed standard black 9v wheels from a wagon

* I drilled the hole in the 9v wheels out to 3.2mm (just with a cordless
electric drill at low revs using a metal drillbit and the wheel held down on
a pad with my fingers)

* The side pieces do not fit onto the 12v motor because the 12v wheel
spindles are too wide - on one side of the 12v motor only I filed off about
1mm on each - took about 15min. It's also good to file a tiny top amount off
of the other side too - the tiny portion at the end of the spindle which is
chamfered (.25mm). (The 12v wheel spindles have a certain amount of in/out
play which is why you only need to file off mainly one side).

* There is a small lug in the middle of the side pieces which fits into the
"missing" centre wheel hole on the 9v motor case - it doesn't fit into the
12v motor case middle wheel hole and must be removed. Needle-nose pliers
will rip it off and it can be cleaned off with a modelling knife to a
perfect finish. The side pieces will now fit flush.

* The 9v wheels now friction fit onto the 12v wheel spindles - in the future
I wonder if they may wear loose in which case I'll superglue them. The
wheels are thick enough so they remain on the axles firmly. (I used some
points to make sure the wheels are pushed on to the right width).

* The side pieces will now fit onto the casing and the whole thing looks
identical to a 9v motor - but without the metal finish wheels (the all black
I think is better anyway).

I added this to the Santa Fe engine and it looks and runs perfectly (the 12v
lighting worked in it too).

Regards,
-Mike