 Trains / 1949
Re: LEGOLAND trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 06:37:48 GMT

David VinZant wrote:

Well John I would want to copy the master peices they have made. I like the
creativity that went into making realalistic designs of trains. I am sure
someone at LEGO had to design the electronics, and mechanics that went into
those trains. I am sure it wasnt bought at the local store. You also said
(Those *aren't* LEGO trains, but rather hybrids that would be scorned in a
*pure* group like this.) Which group are you reffering to LUGNET, or Clubs, or
are you just reffering to you opinion. Cause I know alot of poeple that happen
to like the trains, the cars that drive around, the lights and fountans and
the rest of the automated things at LEGOLAND. Are you going to discredit them
cause there not LEGO, or only hybrids as you put it? I have come to respect
the TLG, for the quality product that they make. And if an employee made
somthing then yes it is LEGO. Because if LEGO doesnt make then who has to make
it, to have it be LEGO?

Where do you draw the line between using LEGO and non LEGO parts?  I can
understand using non LEGO internal devices such as computers and whatever else it
takes to automate things.  Fine.  At least Miniland is constructed *entirely* out
of bricks (in a lot of shapes and colors not available to shlubs like us, but that
is another rant)
But when you get to the trains, something changes.  Now it's non LEGO track, non
LEGO wheels, non LEGO couplers.  To me that's a non LEGO train, meaning it's *not*
built out of LEGO bricks.  I don't care if a LEGO employee built it .[1]  If that
same employee goes home and builds a fire, it *that* LEGO?  I'm being a smart ass
now, but do you see my point?
People here in LUGNET get miffed when you merely *cut* LEGO or use a non LEGO
sticker, or (God forbid) use clone bricks.  It's all in good fun, because the idea
is to simulate realism *within* the constraints of the medium, which is the bricks
(exclusively LEGO) themselves.  To use other materials is going outside the
boundaries, and that my friend, is cheating, and cheating is not how we play
well:-)

IMHOWOMSYMMV,[2]

-John

[1] And BTW while I'm ranting about the "master builders", I'm going to say this:
Their Locos designs at LL California are *crap*.  That's right.  Kaka.  They don't
look right, they aren't nearly detailed enough, and anyone in the GMLTC or PNLTC
or James Mathis or Joe D could build one better.  Heck, the imbeciles put round
buffers on a Burlington Northern Diesel!  That's a new one on me!
[2] In My Humble Opinion Which Others Might Share, Your Mileage May Vary

Dave

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
LOL  As if anyone would want to copy that crap that TLG uses at their parks!
(At least in CA)  Those *aren't* LEGO trains, but rather hybrids that would be
scorned in a *pure* group like this.  Just because an employee of TLG built
it, it doesn't mean it's LEGO.  One would be better off just taking G scale
track and trucks and building cars and engines out of bricks to put on them.
It would be the same thing.  And *that's* not LEGO, IMHO

No offense to you, Dave.  You just hit one of my hot buttons re TLG:-)  I was
*sorely* disappointed and even a little bitter when I saw the trains at LL
this summer.  What a joke!

-John

David VinZant wrote:

Just some info for anyone that is trying to make a garden railroad. The
distance from the inside of the rails is 73 mm. So if you want to make your
garden railroad as close to the LEGOLAND trains then that would be the
distance you would space the rails.

Dave