 Trains / 1945
Re: LEGOLAND trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:26:46 GMT

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

I'd say something is pure LEGO(r) if Joe average consumer can go buy it
at a store or direct from TLG and it comes in a LEGO box. Stuff that
someone made in a back room explicitly for Miniland that is not ever
going to be sold is far from pure LEGO.

Now, I can forgive the wires under the road and the batteries/motors
inside the cars because they're hidden.

But the trains flaunt their non Lego-ness in my face. I can tell the
track is wrong (it's made of metal, which is not sold by TLG, and it has
no ties) I can tell the trucks are wrong (they have no outside bolsters
or springs or bearings or brake hangers, and they are not sold by TLG) I
can tell the couplers are wrong (they are metal tubes devoid of any
detail whatsoever. No glad hands, no knuckles, no draft cushion, no
uncoupler lever, nothing. And they're made of metal, not sold by TLG)
Therefore I find them unacceptable. Woefully.

If I were really purist I would rule out anything that contained a piece
cast in a color that it has not been commercially available in (like
most of the light blue pieces used in houses etc...., there are less
than a dozen different light blue pieces commercially available, I
believe, all in the Maersk truck set) But I'll cut them some slack
there.

David VinZant wrote:

Well John I would want to copy the master peices they have made.

But you can't, because you can't buy the parts.

I like the
creativity that went into making realalistic designs of trains.

So do I, but as a 30 year train fan, a 28 year model railroader, and
someone with a rather high opinion of my own knowledge about trains
(just ask anyone) I can tell you quite categorically that what TLG
crafted are not realistic designs of trains. They got the proportions
significantly wrong, and the details are way off.

Those models were done by someone who's not a train head. Not a single
locomotive is recognisable as a specific model.

Now, the CARS, on the other hand, are quite representational. It was fun
spotting all the makes and models. They were done by someone that knows
cars well.

Hope that helps. I liked all of Miniland, but I liked the trains least.
What one likes is a matter of opinion and you're certainly entitled to
it, but your post contained errors of fact, which I hope I have helped
rectify.

lugnet.