 Trains / 1950
1949  |  1951
Subject:
Truck Trivia (was Re: Small new train web site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 05:19:55 GMT

Steven Barile wrote:

Thanks Larry,
I actually borrowed the tile idea from LEGO land, Billund. They actually
"side" entire houses with this technique, but they have a ton of 1x8
tiles...

The GMLTC already uses this technique for mounting tiles vertically, as
do I. I actually was referring to the notion of building a non moving
door that looks like it was moved to the open position and hiding the
trickery.

BTW spelling has always been a problem for me (darn phonics). I didn't know
that truck and bogie had the same meaning. I always used truck in my n-scale
days, then that LEGO catalog with there bogie plates... now obviously I'm
all confused.

Not to worry. There is no direct analogy to real hardware, but the LEGO
bogie plate is probably most like a combination Bolster and Kingpin. I
think.

For some basic terms, go here:
http://www2.modelrailroader.com/mr/
then work your way through the frames till one of the frames is this
one:
http://www2.modelrailroader.com/mr/gettingstarted/faq/faq.html

It has some basic terms but does not get to the level of detail we are
at here....

<pontificate>

IIRC the Bolster is the cross beam part of the truck, connecting the two
cast sideframes. It rides on the truck springs. It has a large brass or
roller bearing or sliding surface in the center, with a hole in it.

The Kingpin is attached to the load bearing cross member that transmits
the car weight to the truck. it sticks down into the hole in the
Bolster. Around the kingpin is a weight bearing surface that rides on
the sliding surface of the bolster.

There is no permanent mechanical connection between the truck and frame.
If you were to pick a car up with a crane, the trucks would stay behind.
Only gravity holds things together. This is why in major
derailment/wreck photos you see trucks all over the place and the cars
sitting there forlorn. It's true of locomotives too, although when they
derail to the point of coming off-truck the wiring connecting the
traction motors to the generator tends to get ripped up and destroyed,
as well as other connections like the blower ducts and sand pipe feeder
lines.

There is a photo in this month's TRAINS of a locomotive being set on its
trucks at the Erie PA. GE locomotive plant.

Believe it or not, that gravity only connection is deliberate. Freight
car trucks are (as long as you stick to the weight limits) basically
interchangable, which makes wreck cleanup go a lot faster, as well as
maintenance. Believe it or not, some modern locomotives are riding on
trucks originally built many years before they were. Railroads would
often "trade in" locomotives on newer ones and specify that the trucks
be reused. That might involve a rebuild down to the side frames, with
new traction motors, brake appliances, all new journals and bearings and
so forth, after a careful inspection of the frames for fatigue and
stress fractures (locomotive truck sideframes  were at one point some of
the largest non military steel castings)... or it might just involve a
little silver paint, a wing, and a prayer.

Note that in LEGO the pin goes with the truck instead of the car,
usually (if you use the bogie plates, anyway), and the truck is
attached. Ditto with most regular model railroad cars, the trucks are
screwed in loosely with a screw going through the hole in the bolster.

</pontificate>

Hope that helps.

lugnet.