 Trains / 18928
  Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

Here's what I came up with when thinking about what to build with the current green coaches. The wheel geometry came from a collaboration between Dan Parker (PNLTC) and James Mathis about 3 years ago (thanks guys). I first saw this when Dan showed (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

(...) These are really nice looking. (...) Aside: What amazed me back then was that Dan and I coincidentally worked these up; at first not knowing the other was working on a similar project! This tri-axle project is likely what really motivated me (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

(...) I've seen models of these coaches in Marklin catalogs, and your Brick-rendered versions are beautiful! Green sure goes a long way toward capturing that classic 'old-fashioned' look and feel. Do the models track well? -Harvey (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

I have actually built these and haven't had access to a good camera, maybe tomorrow. They actually run very well forward, being pulled, but tend to bind up a bit running backwards, being pushed. The renderings are slightly different from what I (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

(...) Happy Birthday, James! Sheesh, you are young enough to be my *other* son;-) JOHN (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

(...) Cool cars, Steve (for 6 wide Eurotrash;-) How did you make the cool door handles? JOHN (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

<dry> Wow, John, I thought you'd never ask! </dry> Very simple idea that was originaly inspired by Jermey Rear (PNLTC). Jeremy stuck a drk gray light saber blade thru the side stud of a 1x1 headlight brick, then attached a minifig hand to it. I was (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

(...) Very nice waggons, Steve! I love these very old tri-axles a lot and the idea with the minifig hand inside a lightholder is brilliant and will be copied for sure. Concerning the prototypes there have been waggons made by Maerklin and there is a (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

(...) Could you describe how they work? I've used sliding blocks for my tri-axle wheelsets, although they can't be any longer overall than a normal twin-axles base. Are you using a pivoting lever system, because you said they had trouble backing up? (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

OK, Here you go... (URL) have heard of the translating center wheelset within 3 a axle bogie to irradicate the planer issuses thru curves. Great idea, can you repost a link to that. I'd love to see it and it would make for a good url trail on this (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

(...) years ago, after James showed off his first tri-axles, I came up with this design, which is not too far away from yours: (URL) 12V wheels have the advantage to make a lower design possible. (URL)I have heard of the translating center wheelset (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

(...) with respect to the end wheels. Also, the ball-and-socket elements are "swapped". I'm certainly not sure if this different geometry behaves any better when being pulled or pushed. My 3-car set of this design is now deconstructed. Any chance (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

Some photos of the ABS version. I'll try for some better pics later today outside (it's actually sunny in Portland today!). I wish they all looked like the 3 Bay First Class coach w/cupula... I was in macro mode, did I shake or was the autofocus not (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle Prussian State Railroad Coaches

(...) Here's a quick MLCAD sketch of my version: (URL) like yours though, as it adds flexibility to the end axles. Mine is still limited by the separation of the two outermost axles, like any two-axled wagon. Perhaps a better method would be a (...) (21 years ago, 12-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle v2

This latest version incorperates some of CAL's ideas and some things that James Mathis sugessted. Acutally, this photo is even old now. I removed the lowest plate that kept the bogie 1/2 plate below the green 1/4 rnds's and the bogies now rest (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle v2

(...) pictures of the next upgrade you have described. And of course I like to see it with a break cab next. Kind regards, Ben (21 years ago, 16-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tri-axle v2

(...) [snip] A very fine example of your own MOC progression and valuable input from web-peers fused together. What a dramatic improvement already. This model is absolutely beautifull! With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen. (21 years ago, 16-Jan-03, to lugnet.trains)