 Trains / 18700
18699  |  18701
Subject:
My opinion on Train Marketing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 23:47:51 GMT

Last night as I was strolling through the clearance section of my favorite
Target store, and marveling at my luck at so many train cars being offered
at a discounted price, a thought hit me. Why would a kid who did not have a
Lego train setup at home already want one of these? Then I began to consider
the fundamental problems with TLC’s marketing policy as far as trains are
concerned. Bear in mind this is all my opinion, but as an ex-toy store
employee it is not totally without merit.

The biggest problems with Lego trains is price and lack of competition. For
those of us who grew up in an average income household, toys costing over
$100 were completely out of the question. Although video game systems seemed
to be the exception I was never given a toy, even for a holiday that was
that expensive. Keeping that in mind, the least expensive train set I have
seen is the goofy blue train for $90, which I purchased for myself as adult.
There really are no true introductory train sets, something in the $30-$50
range. Granted other train toys are just as expensive whether it be HO – N –
O scale or Brio, but you can locate starter sets of all these formats
relatively inexpensively, then buy accessories in chunks. As a parent I can
attest to the fact that it is difficult to commit that kind of money into a
toy, when we are unsure of our child’s interest level in the thing. If I
think my son will enjoy the soccer series, I can purchase a set for $10 and
see how he likes it before I buy the huge field, likewise with castle, or
any other theme. This is not the case with trains, how much fun is a little
caboose, when you do not own an actual set, so you start with a very limited
target audience. Keeping that in mind it is very hard for me to understand
why TLC, and Target decided to sell the My Own Train line on retail shelves;
good for me bad for Target.

Bottom line, I am absolutely not surprised that these sets are going on
clearance just months after going on the shelves, until TLC makes some sort
of commitment to broaden the number of Lego train owners this will be the
case. The only options I can see is either create an extremely basic set
containing a tiny circle track, engine and regulator within a reasonable
price range, then commit to add-ons, or embrace hobby shops that specialize
in trains where more committed train enthusiasts can be located. I would
love to see the day when people visiting our train groups layout were heard
to say “I have a small set at home,” instead of “Lego makes trains?”

Just my opinion,

Scott