 Trains / 18705
Re: My opinion on Train Marketing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 22:25:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:

<snip>

Perhaps Trains (in general) are not of this generation.

Actually, I think that they were not of *my* generation.  With the advent of
TtTE about 15 years ago, I believe we are actually seeing a renaissance in
train interest.

<snip>

Times have changed and unless TRAINS finds a way back it will forever be where
it is at now: An old-man's toy.

Young kids are growing up with the wooden Thomas cars and videos.  You couldn't
ask for a better foundation on which to build a renewed interest in trains.

<...>

But even this type of set would still run in the $80+ price point.
A motor is ~$30, a speed reg another ~30, 1 box of track and pieces ~20-30
So the lowest would be ~80.  Still too much and is this not what the blue
train is at?  That IMO is a go starter set for a kid.  Big train, lots of
minifigs, and everything else you need.  The two new sets that came out this
year (The TARGET and TRU exclusives) ARE NOT good sets.

1) The price point is OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Agreed.  A retail starter set should hit the magical number of $89.99.  But for
a little perspective-- have you checked the prices of Brio lately? "Moon
river!" ;-)

TLC should have 1 starter passenger train set and 1 freight train set at this
price point (even if they need to be a type of "loss-leader" as the buckets
are), and then accessorize like crazy.

And why TLC hasn't come out with a Christmas train starter set is beyond me!
<memo to self: talk to Brad at BW about a Christmas train starter set>  And
then add collectible cars each year!  This is a tried and proven strategy in
model railroading.  How many of you would run a Christmas train around your
trees that pulled collectible cars from previous years-- admit it, you *all*
would! :-)  Even I, a devout alternative width advocate would do it-- because
of its *collectibility* quality.  Heck, I buy the Lionel Hallmark train
ornaments every year, and those babies aren't exactly cheap-- about $40 if you
include loco and tender.  And this year they added a passenger car, so make
that $60, and that's assuming you purchase them in their release year.  The
first loco in the series MIB now *starts* around $70 alone....

Where are any new examples of lessons learned from the wildly successful Sante
Fe limited edition run??

I guess my point is that there are a lot of marketing strategies that TLC could
and should be working on to bolster their train theme.  What it will take is a
commitment from Billund that says "okay, we are going to produce a full train
line" and from there develop a *comprehensive* strategy instead of what is
happening now: LD keeping the trains theme alive via CPR.  Let's see an
investment into purchasing a ventilator and get this theme *off* of life
support and get it healthy and growing!

JOHN