 Trains / 18714
Re: My opinion on Train Marketing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 05:17:16 GMT

<snip>
No a little company called Nitendo came.  When atari was around kids still
went to the arcade beacuse the graphics were still better.  Nintendo changed
that and since then look at the aracade places?  Oh wait you can't find them
anymore, but a few places.

Now kids are into the quick stimulation of the brain and video games gives
them that.  Just look at the boy toy aisle at the stores.  In our days GI
Joe was supreme and they were simple plastic figs.  Now almost every toy has
to make some sort of sound or light up in some way.  Kids can't use their
imagaination any more.  If they get a toy that requires them to "think" it
just gets put away.

Thinking is detremental to today's youth

This I think is the fundamental difference between them and us.  It was okay
for us to making gun firing noises for GI Joe or explosions.  It was okay
for us to construct LEGO space ships that nobody had ever seen before.
These kids have a huge variey of space ships that they have seen (Star trek,
Star Wars, Babaolne, etc.) none of it is interesting.

Just look at coyboys and indians.  Who still plays that?  Times have changed
and unless TRAINS finds a way back it will forever be where it is at now: An
old-man's toy.

Whoa now...hold on here a minute. Like many youngsters, I embraced the video
game FAD when I was young and pretty much abandoned LEGO® (never knew they
made trains at the time, or that NES would have been quickly struck off my
Christmas list)

Video game systems come and go, yet The Brick remains, despite the wasteful
diversions known as Galidor, Bionicle, and Jack Stone (also fads in my view)

Yes Video game systems come and go but NOT the force behind them. Video
games systems provide instance stimulation.  Generation X (me), Y and the
new millenium babioes (gen z) are all about INSTANCE GRATIFICATION.  LEGO
(the brick) cannot compete with the video game system.  At the rate that my
generation and the ones that follow are going, LEGO will never be able to
overcome the video game "systems".  LEGO will always be 2nd string.  Sad but
true.  As I stated before LEGO requires imagaintion and thinking.  These
concepts are LOST in the new generations.

I don't think Galidor, Bionicle, and Jack Stone are wasteful diversions. At
least Bionicle HAS brought money into LEGO.  Anything that brings money into
LEGO is a good thing.  Even if it is not for us.  BESIDES Bionicile is a
GOLD MINE for you and me.  Think about it, who is playing with BIONICLE?
Kids 8-15. 10-15 years from now when these kids are ready to get out of
school and into the real world they just like us will be trying to buy their
old childhood toys.  For us Old Star Wars is the hot ticket along with Care
Bare, etc.

Well if you, today, buy Bionicle you tomorrow we be able to SELL it MARKED
UP to these kids!  Money for you in the end!  The way TRU, KBToys and others
have had sales on BIONICLE right now is the time to get in.  The old
Bionicle line is almost gone, the new sets are coming in.  Right now is the
time to purchase the old and new collections and just sit on them.  =)
Learn from the past.  We paied markup for our OLD star wars because we were
too dumb to keep out old toys.  The same thing will happen to this kids, and
their kids, and theirs.  History repeats itslef here.

And what's wrong with trains being an 'old man's toy'? At least the old men
have the wisdom and imagination that most people today lack...and playing
with toy/model trains is The Original Hobby™ to begin with.

Nothing wrong with trains being an old man's toy.  But if we want trains to
survive we need to start bring in new young kids blood.  Sure there are some
kids that enjoy and play with trains, but the majority of young (american)
kids this theme is lost on.  An electronic toy is what they want.

-AHui