 Trains / 18699
Re: 16 wide Train Building Odyssey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:04:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Anyway, here is where I need some help.  It is a given that the track and
trucks will be non-LEGO (gauge 3 to be precise).  So, I need to learn about
gauge 3 and where I can obtain such things as rail (I'm figuring that I'm
laying my own here), trucks (please tell me I don't need to machine my own!).

My web searches have turned up some good gauge 3 resources in England, but
since I am modeling US prototypes, I fear they will not be so helpful.  I am
pursuing a few other avenues for information, but wanted to throw this out in
this forum in hopes some illumination here.

Does this help...

http://www.usatrains.com/

I actually live within a couple miles of their headquarters and store in
Malden MA.  Super great stuff!  If I were not so dedicated to LEGO trains I
would be in their store on at least a weekly basis.

Yes, I find the large scale stuff very intoxicating as well!  Actually, USA
Trains (and Aristocraft) are around the scale of 1:29, but utilize gauge *1*
track (which is actually scale for standard gauge at 1:32).

I *do* have "G" scale trucks, but they look smallish, as if I were modeling a
narrow gauge (I haven't worked out the math as to what that gauge might
actually be at 1:24).  But they are okay in a pinch and I will use them to take
to train shows to try to horn in on the garden railroaders who run on gauge 1:-)

-John