 Trains / 15817
Re: MOC: Union Station - Kansas City, MO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ks, lugnet.loc.us.mo.kan
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:35:59 GMT

In lugnet.town, John Neal writes:

Mark Chan wrote:

After 3 years of planning and 6 months of building, I am pleased to announce
the completion of the main section of Union Station, modeled after the real
building in Kansas City, MO.

Congratulations, Mark!  You have created a very pleasing and innovative MOC
here!  Well done!  Among your original techniques I noticed and enjoyed the most
is your method of compression.

Compression was one of the more challenging constraints. One of the most
endearing traits of TLC official sets (to me) is their ability to suggest an
actual structure without actually needing to model all of it in scale.
(Their old passenger airplanes being a great example)

My brother thought the side doors on Union Station were hilarious. The
building wings on the side are supposed to be a three story structure, but
here is this massive door that doesn't look too out of place - and it has
this cute look when you put a minifigure next to it.

I know that when constructing large buildings in the minilands, TLC will start
off with 1:20 on the ground level, but switch to MF scale on successive floors.

I noticed that too in the Carlsbad miniland. What was impressive was how TLC
pulled this off without anyone really noticing unless you looked at it
closely for a long time. It's a good illusion - which is what selective
compression is mostly about.

You appear to have completely compressed the station to HO scale (about 1/2 MF
scale), and yet make it work for MF scale!  So, at the same time the model can
appear compressed or uncompressed, depending upon the presence of MFs.  Very
creative:-)

Yes, it is about 1/2 MF scale. Among the toughest "compression yet MF
accessible" challenges was the awning over the two front entrances. In
scale, they should be about half as high as they are (and in solid black),
but then a minifig couldn't fit under it. On the other hand, a solid piece
at MF height just distracted too much from the overall effect. I compromised
with a "glass" awning at MF height to minimize the distraction.

Thanks for taking the time to write!

Mark

-John