 Town / 4401
Re: MOC: Union Station - Kansas City, MO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ks, lugnet.loc.us.mo.kan
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:24:21 GMT

In lugnet.town, Mark Chan writes:
In lugnet.town, Robert Powell writes:
I find myself looking for adjectives to describe this model. Simply
outstanding! Any detail you could give on the roof construction would be
greatly appreciated. I am always looking for ways to build roofs without slopes.

TIA,
Robert Powell

Thanks for the comments! I posted some pictures in a construction folder
that should give a good idea on how to build the roofs.

Basically, think of it as a vertical wall of bricks, except that every 1 and
2/3 of a brick in height, you add a layer of red 2x2 tiles into the wall,
and there are SNOT studs covering the 1 and 2/3rds bricks between each layer
of red tiles. (You place other 2x2 tiles into the SNOT position). The back
side juts out to anchor the wall together, and a technic beam gives the wall
stability.

It takes a lot of pieces. Each layer (of which there are 15) in the roof
shown here takes around 45 pieces (20 of which are 2x2 red tiles). The other
parts besides the obvious plates and bricks are technic 1/2 pins and technic
1x2 bricks with 2 holes. You can use the 1x1 brick with 1 hole, but I like
the stability of the 1x2. The technic 1x2 brick with 1 hole could be used if
you lined the "trough" with 1xN plates instead of the 2xN I used here.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks for that! I have to confess that in this case a picture is worth 1000
words though, your explanation makes a lot more sense when viewed with the
constructon detail pics. What a neat technique!

Can you see the underside of the tiles that are edge on (the lip and void)
at all when viewed from an angle and peering really close, or are they out
just enough to be out, but not enough to show the void?