 Town / 4419
Re: MOC: Union Station - Kansas City, MO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ks, lugnet.loc.us.mo.kan
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:57:13 GMT

In lugnet.town, James Mathis writes:
Mark,

Perfect station!  Awesome.
Brings back a flood of memories for me.  This is the place that I fell in
love with trains.  3 and 4 years old I was, took the Amtrak from Union
Station to Texas when I was 3.  Then, at age 4, took Amtrak's Chief (not
Super at that time) from KC to LA.  I remember well the massive size of
Union Station!  And, and age 4, I was dwarfed.  En route to LA, I remember
sitting in the Chief's obersvation dome car (I think it was a vista dome
type car).  Just awesome!
First the Super Chief loco. Now your KC Union Station.
It just doesn't get much better than this for my 4 year mind in this 32 year
old body.  ;-)

Unfortunately, I have never been on a train, and even worse, they have
threatened to remove funding for the three Amtrak lines still in service
near Union Station here in KC. I have until July to catch a train ride
before they potentially go away!

OK, setting asides my day-dreaming, your station captures the look, feel,
and scale of the real thing so well.  I hope that the Museum works with you
to produce a display for it.

Hmmm. You are the second person (after Andreas) to mention this idea. I may
have to pursue it....

Excellent work, Mark. I'm looking forward to seeing the new additions as you
continue to work on it.

later,
James Mathis

You probably don't know it, but your creations were one of the many LUGNET
influences that actually helped inspire this project. I still recall your
Cool Lego Site of the Week metroliner station from four years back that
helped open my eyes to the possibilities of making detailed minifig scale
models out of Lego. Thanks!

Mark