 Town / 4411
Re: MOC: Union Station - Kansas City, MO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ks, lugnet.loc.us.mo.kan
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:13:42 GMT

Mark,

Perfect station!  Awesome.
Brings back a flood of memories for me.  This is the place that I fell in
love with trains.  3 and 4 years old I was, took the Amtrak from Union
Station to Texas when I was 3.  Then, at age 4, took Amtrak's Chief (not
Super at that time) from KC to LA.  I remember well the massive size of
Union Station!  And, and age 4, I was dwarfed.  En route to LA, I remember
sitting in the Chief's obersvation dome car (I think it was a vista dome
type car).  Just awesome!
First the Super Chief loco. Now your KC Union Station.
It just doesn't get much better than this for my 4 year mind in this 32 year
old body.  ;-)

OK, setting asides my day-dreaming, your station captures the look, feel,
and scale of the real thing so well.  I hope that the Museum works with you
to produce a display for it.

Excellent work, Mark. I'm looking forward to seeing the new additions as you
continue to work on it.

later,
James Mathis

In lugnet.town, John Neal writes:

Mark Chan wrote:

After 3 years of planning and 6 months of building, I am pleased to announce
the completion of the main section of Union Station, modeled after the real
building in Kansas City, MO.

Congratulations, Mark!  You have created a very pleasing and innovative MOC
here!  Well done!  Among your original techniques I noticed and enjoyed the most
is your method of compression.

I know that when constructing large buildings in the minilands, TLC will start
off with 1:20 on the ground level, but switch to MF scale on successive floors.
You appear to have completely compressed the station to HO scale (about 1/2 MF
scale), and yet make it work for MF scale!  So, at the same time the model can
appear compressed or uncompressed, depending upon the presence of MFs.  Very
creative:-)

-John