 Trains / 15788
Re: MOC: Union Station - Kansas City, MO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ks, lugnet.loc.us.mo.kan
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 02:39:14 GMT

In lugnet.town, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.town, Mark Chan writes:

Please let me know what you think!

Um... I'm speechless. Almost. :-)

This minifig scale building rivals the detail and look of some of Miniland's
finest.

Thank you for the compliment! Miniland is IMO the highest standard of
detailed construction, although they get to use things we mortals could
never get our hands on, even with BrickLink. (like several hundred of those
4 scoop white ice cream pieces that they used as corner ornamentation in one
of their San Fransisco buildings).

IIRC the KC US is still standing, not too far away from Crown Center, and is
now a museum. The real station is kind of at a low elevation so you look
down on it from some of the nearby roads.

Your recollection is right on. Union Station sits across the street from
Crown Center and the Liberty Memorial and hill (the only WWI memorial in
America). We passed a bi-state tax in the late 90's to convert part of the
North Wing and some of the former train track area into a Science City with
a 3D IMAX. The main area of the Station has been unchanged, and the interior
restored to like new condition.

You have captured it (what I remember the look to be) admirably. Bravo!

Wow. Just wow.

Thanks again. I hope to get tracks and a Super Chief into the model some
day, since the real Super Chief actually passed through Union Station.

Mark