 Trains / 14284
  Track? MOC or New?

I am waiting for ten years now to get automated points, stops and decouplers, as well as new track parts. I am wondering what the train community would like to see as new track parts or automation. I have some examples on brickshelf: (URL) anyone (...) (23 years ago, 17-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

I have some ideas about flexible track which I intend to develop, but I think the current track geometry is too limited to be worth expanding. I *would* like to see new track parts, and a larger radius curve & new points would be top of my list. On (...) (23 years ago, 17-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

I've toyed with the idea of modifying the points (switches): By removing a section of the turnout, two points can be placed turnout-to-turnout while keeping standard track centres and maintaining an overall length of 3 straights ;-) ...have a play (...) (23 years ago, 17-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) What would I like to see track wise? - Automated turnouts as you mention - A new larger curve radius, probably 16 studs larger - 4 stud and 8 stud track sections - New geometry turnouts + one which the divergent track is equivalent to one (...) (23 years ago, 17-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

I think we are closer to seeing a new larger track radius than anything else, mostly cause it seems like the least R&D dollars and is backwardly compatible with all other track elements. SteveB (...) (23 years ago, 17-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) Roger that. Just ONE new mold, and a rather simple one at that, and all of a sudden a lot of people are a lot happier. But here's the rub. WHAT new radius? I would argue a radius that is just larger than the current one by the "standard" (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) I would guess at half- or quarter-straights first, as it seems that they'd have even less R&D... but what do I know. It's all just speculation, eh? -- Tony Hafner www.hafhead.com (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) I'd tend to agree with your thoughts on spacing - the other question is, do they make the sections 22.5 deg to match the current ones, or do they go to 11.25 deg to make the sections smaller? Or maybe even 15 deg (24 per circle), or 18 deg (20 (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) I'm not sure LEGO flex track would work very well. Flex track needs to be cut to fit. Frank (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) Not necessarily. That's the conventional way to do it, yes... but what if there were sliding parts at each tie point? in that case the outer rail would "get longer" so to speak, with no cutting needed. Might be frightfully expensive though. (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) I'd like to comment a little on this, I've thought about the logistics... First, model trains have flex track, one rail is usually permenant, while the other slides. Also, they have pure metal rails, now with LEGO track, there is plastic under (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

FWIW, a few years back, Aurora managed to produce flexible race car track! The system used a herring-bone type arrangement for the plastic track base with spring-like rails, thereby making it fully flexible... Not sure if any such arrangement could (...) (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) I think another major consideration here is playability - such track would not, I imagine, take nearly as much of the pounding that the current track pieces seem to get, especially from kids. ROSCO (23 years ago, 18-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) You raise good points. I forgot that Flex Track has two important characteristics: - you can cut it to the length you desire - you can bend it to the shape you desire (within limits) My suggested track design addresses only the second point, (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) Of course most track can be cut to any length. (...) This really is the most important feature of flex track, there's also a third feature, at least for the smaller scales - it comes in longer lengths which allow fewer track joins and thus (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

I see that the main issue is the flex track. I am not really looking for larger radius and flex track, because that will probably take more space in a layout..... :) What I can say of a professional point of few is that soft plastics can be turned (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) I would say the best chance would be the short Straights. (1/2 or 1/3, 1/4) That's the same design just as a straight just shorter. No thought really involved... Dean (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Larry Pieniazek (<GoKLAC.5wo@lugnet.com>) wrote at 02:51:48 (...) Absolutely. My idea borrows heavily from my previous model railway experience. Essentially, you modify a 2x8 plate by adding chairs (I think that's what the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Track? MOC or New?

(...) In fact, these are fairly simple to make yourself. Fellow PNLTC member, Dan Parker, used a model railroading track saw to modify a few sections of track, and he can now make straight track sections of any length. To cut perfectly straight (...) (23 years ago, 21-Dec-01, to lugnet.trains)