 Trains / 14304
Re: Track? MOC or New?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 23:16:17 GMT

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Larry Pieniazek (<GoKLAC.5wo@lugnet.com>) wrote at
02:51:48

You raise good points. I forgot that Flex Track has two important
characteristics:

- you can cut it to the length you desire
- you can bend it to the shape you desire (within limits)

My suggested track design addresses only the second point, not the first.
And as Ross points out it is liable to be an adult only item, it would never
withstand toybox storage. Hence limited utility and not likely to have the
numbers to get produced

Absolutely. My idea borrows heavily from my previous model railway
experience.

Essentially, you modify a 2x8 plate by adding chairs (I think that's
what the things that attach the rails to the ties are called) for one of
the standard MR rail profiles which would suit LEGO trains. Then you
just thread the individual ties onto the rails & secure to your
infrastructure, cutting the rails to size as you go.

An even cheaper solution (which I'm investigating) is to modify a 2x2
tile to hold the rail, and place 2 on each 2x8 plate. This is small &
relatively inexpensive. Definitely not very playable, though. More for a
serious attempt at a large LEGO layout. The interfaces between the flex
& sectional track will be fun to execute as well.

Shorter pieces of straight, and a second (or second and third) radius are
more doable.

Yup. And I'll buy lots of these as well :-)

--
Tony Priestman