 Trains / 14301
Re: Track? MOC or New?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 08:51:48 GMT

I see that the main issue is the flex track.

I am not really looking for larger radius and flex track, because
that will probably take more space in a layout..... :)

What I can say of a professional point of few is that soft plastics
can be turned into hard one by a heat treatment. So why not have
flex track made of soft material (same material as the "new" trees) without
the metal on top. So bending the track into the desired shape and then sliding
or clamping the metal conductor onto it, is an option. If you want to have the
flex
material permanent in some kind of special shape you would just need to
heat it with a hair blower (certain temperature) and it is fixed for ever....

I would say that this track would be easier to make (so cheaper?). There is
even one assembly phase less (track and metal conductor sold separate).

However:

I like to see more sophisticated points, so that I would be able to make
a more realistic switching yard... All with automatics, so that, if you want,
remote (computer) control would be possible.

I guess that Lego has everything inhouse already:
They made automated 12V train products and there is the Mindstorm product line.
Adding this up gives.... for 9V..... (well I dare not say)..

Guido