 Trains / 13921
Re: Pics of VLC layout at Trains 2001 show, Burnaby BC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:48:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Gianluca Morelli writes:
Nice stuff.
in particular I found extremely interesting this:

I've yet seen somewhere this locomotive (or a similar one),which features
two GREAT ideas (congrats to builder):
1.tyres instead of aluminium rims (yes,it's less realistic,but it's all-Lego
and it's much cheaper)
2.the "cherry picker truck" wheels to keep on rails the tyres wheels.
It looks like every red wheels axle is coupled with an axle of these small
wheels to form a bogie (truck in USA),and every bogie is coupled to previous
one.
I'll copy this idea in my spoked wheel locos. (I'm planning something
similar to english steamer LMS 46229 "Duchess of Hamilton")

Ciao
Gianluca

That's a pretty neat way of doing it.  I tried this before (without the
tyres though), but couldn't get it all to fit close enough together whilst
still being flexible enough to get round corners.  Congratulations to Robin
for making it work.

Here are some good links to a 'Duchess' class, 6233 "Duchess of Sutherland":
<http://www.storm.ca/~tjones/wduchess.html>
<http://www.prclt.co.uk/>

And this shows my first version:
<http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z16425B1>

I've used Model Team wheels with the narrow ridge and wider rim removed, to
leave a flanged train wheel.  Sorry for the repeat, but more pictures will
follow, I promise.

It's great to see someone else trying to do this sort of thing.  It's a
shame that most of the interest just stems from Harry Potter, but the shots
of the original station give me some ideas.

Jason J Railton