 Trains / 13903
Re: Pics of VLC layout at Trains 2001 show, Burnaby BC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, lugnet.loc.ca.bc.vic
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:20:57 GMT

Nice stuff.
in particular I found extremely interesting this:

I've yet seen somewhere this locomotive (or a similar one),which features
two GREAT ideas (congrats to builder):
1.tyres instead of aluminium rims (yes,it's less realistic,but it's all-Lego
and it's much cheaper)
2.the "cherry picker truck" wheels to keep on rails the tyres wheels.
It looks like every red wheels axle is coupled with an axle of these small
wheels to form a bogie (truck in USA),and every bogie is coupled to previous
one.

Thanks!  You have quite accurately described the exact methodology
behind this locomotive's articulation.  I would mention that all these
trucks or bogies are actually all attached to each other with pivot
points, to form an almost caterpillar-like "spine" that all the wheels
attach to.  This structure allows the flanged wheels to track
beautifully along any Lego train track, and keeps the red "tyred"
wheels up on top of the rails.

Because of this structure, the entire "body" of the locomotive, from
the flat red plate and up, is completely separate from the articulated
series of trucks (or bogies) beneath.  I really need to get some
better pictures up of all this, and I promise I will, but essentially
there are two pivot (or swivel) points, one near the front, and one
near the back of the locomotive.  It's here that the body attaches to
the articulated frame.  Because of the multiple (4) articulated
points, the "length" of the frame changes quite considerably as the
train rounds corners, so one of the pivots (the front) also slides
horizontally to adjust to the changing "length" of the frame.  Works
like a charm.   I spent many happy, trying hours trying to find a way
to make this all work, and I'm happy with the result.  Aside from
issues with friction, the engine ran happily (if a little slowly!) on
the layout all day long.

I'll copy this idea in my spoked wheel locos. (I'm planning something
similar to english steamer LMS 46229 "Duchess of Hamilton")

I've really fallen in love with these British steam engines.  This
engine is based on the engine used in the filming of the new Harry
Potter movie, the Olton Hall (5972), a modified Hall Class 4-6-0 Great
Western locomotive.  I decided to add a rear set of wheels to the
locomotive, partly for looks, and partly for stability and reliability
running all day on the layout, so my version is actually a 4-6-2.

Some links:

http://www.hpgalleries.com/mgallery6.htm
http://www.hpgalleries.com/mgallery5.htm
* I modelled my Hogsmeade station (also in the layout) is a greatly
simplified version of the station on this page

Robin