 Trains / 13618
Re: GO-Transit Commuter Rail Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:24:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kai Brodersen writes:

1. Looking good. A little short but if you want to use the depressed center
plate that's what you get... and it's selective compression to keep it that
short.

Agreed, looking good.  One minor error that I can point out is the doors on the
GO Train cars are on the lower level just inside the trucks, and not on the
ends above the trucks.

I've been working on a "GO" like train for a while.  I call it a "GO" like
train because the availability of certain parts makes it easier to use
different colours.  Plus my roof line is a little different.

Here it is at rtlToronto's Train2:

This is my second version of the cars.  I too made the mistake of placing the
doors at the ends of the cars in my first version.  And I see the cars every
day from my office window.  I didn't realise my mistake until I brought them to
work and someone here who rides them every day pointed it out.

I'm currently working on softening the corners so they don't look so boxie.

2. Although this beveled end design originated with GO, it has apparently
(according to my latest TRAINS mag, 2001 Nov, p.28) become the defacto
standard for North American Bilevel. All the bilevel cars ordered by any
transit authority anywhere in NA in the last few years have been this design.

Obviously being blue and gray my train can't really be called a GO Train.
However I have been told that the colour scheme does match the colours of a
commuter line some where in the states, but I can't remember where.

Derek