 Trains / 13668
Re: GO-Transit Commuter Rail Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:34:39 GMT

Wow, that's quite a beauty.  Very nice cars.

Thanks, I'm currently working on making them look less boxie and more rounded
like the real cars.

I'm also trying to talk the others in the group into modifying the corners on
our layout so this train can actually run around the track. :-)

Hm, yes.  From the pic, it looks like they're 50 studs long by 8 studs wide.
I've got a passenger train with cars ranging from 42 to 50 studs long and
I've had surprisingly good luck running it.  At LLCA a couple of months
back, it was able to run on all 3 of our mainlines.  I didn't even try to
run it on any of the local loops, but those were all specialty lines anyway.

I poked around the directory a little more and was also very impressed with
the monorail built on 4.5 blue tracks- I've been toying with this concept
for a while, though I haven't actually attempted anything.  Whoever executed
it did a very nice job.

Thanks, this was mine as well.  It was really only a proof of concept, I didn't
put much effort into the car designs.  I just wanted to see if I could make
something run.

It runs, although it is a little slow, and the 9v battery doesn't last very
long.  The next step is to improve stability so I can use a AA battery pack.

If you are currious about the drive mechanism here is a picture of the
underside:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-081101-derekmonorail.jpg

Yes, I remember seeing that shot a while back.  I'm curious- did you run it
long enough to be able to judge how the parts wear?  My experience with the
Duplo device has told me that Technic parts do wear out when they run for
extended periods.  Shows can be a killer on mechanicals if you have much
friction to deal with- and this looks like it might be under some strain.  I
haven't had to replace any of the gears yet, though they are covered with
light Lego grey powder.  The flex shafts are another story... and not a
pretty one.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com