 Trains / 13418
Re: New MOC: 8 Wide EMD SW1500
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:27:02 GMT

John wrote:

A while back, there was a discussion about how everyone it seemed was in the
process of building this model, but only now have I actually finished mine.  I
had wanted to build a Milwaukee Road diesel loco since orange became available
and I choose this style to finally do so.  Ironically, I checked the MR roster
and found out that apparently MR never purchased *any* SW1500s from EMD! (but
lots of SW1200s)  I decided to keep it as is for now and not convert it to a
SW1200 (too lazy:-)

The black SW1500 is a kind of a second version of my design.  In pic 2, for fun
I printed some paper stickers to make it a Penn Central (since I modeled that
MOC directly from a photograph).  I'll have to either buy a real decal/sticker
sheet for it or make my own.

You know a train model is good when you look at a thumbnail of it and
think it's a prototype pic as I did with your Penn Central w/ stickers.
Good job!

There are *many* prototype variations on this model  (fuel tank size, rail
additions, spark arresters, etc) and so hardly any 2 will appear the same.  My
plan is to create 3 more versions-- a BN, Soo, and CN.

That is so true.  When I was doing my version of an SW1200, I discovered
that the Erie Lackawanna prototype I was basing it on had side
railings.  Kinda frustrating when the SW-series lack of handrails gives
it an advantage in LEGO modeling.

-chris