 Trains / 13035
Re: Question for model RR gurus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:27:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford writes:

I think if you're happy modifying Lego to do this stuff, that's cool. But I
don't think I ever will.

This part I grok.

And I'd personally be disappointed to see Lego going
down the DCC path.

And this part I don't. Why would this be personally disappointing? Do you
think Mindstorms is a bad idea?

I'm just not interested in DCC in a Lego environment. Maybe that's cos train
building is still pretty young around here - we haven't had any Lego train
shows at all, that I'm aware of (although it's been suggested a couple of
times). When we've got huge layouts and big, energetic clubs like you guys do,
maybe it'll change my mind. Hey, if Lego does do it & I see it in action, maybe
that'll change my mind too.

Right now, I'm just happy to drive the things around, and do a bit of manual
shunting. And I think maybe the average young kid is happy doing that, too.
Which is why I'm really stoked about the "my own train" line (even though I
haven't bought any); I think Lego targetted this fair & square at those kids
that just want to see a nice train running round a little track, safe in the
knowledge they can hassle their parents for more track later.

Regards

ROSCO