 Trains / 13018
Re: Trolley line automation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:44:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Robert Fay writes:
I guess I am going to show my age here. In Los Angeles, in the forties, the
trolleys had a pole on both ends and the conductor simply pulled one down
and raised the other. He then sat in the seat at the other end of the car
and went the opposite way.

Same here in Melbourne (Aus), up till a few years ago when the last of the "W"
class trams (which had a pole either end) were retired from service. It's a bit
hard to automate this on a Lego layout, but maybe not impossible. You have to
worry about things like points & cross tracks, and having some way to ensure
the pole always "mates" with the wire when it's raised (especially difficult if
the tram's on a corner).

ROSCO