 Trains / 13028
Re: Trolley line automation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 02:38:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Wilson writes:

The SF cable cars are a special case and I don't think they can be compared with standard trolley cars, if we're thinking of the same ones that go up the steep hills.

So we are on the same track (no pun intended), In San Francisco there are
Streetcars and Cable cars. The ones that climb the steep hills are cable
cars. They move by gripping a cable under the street. The cable is moved by
a large motor at the motor house (a nifty museum I might add). The cable
moves at 4 miles an hour. There are prototype cable cars that don't have to
be turned around at the end of the line but I don't think they are used
anymore. There isn't a lot of traction between the wheels and the rails
since the wheels merely provide guidance.

The street car was brought back into service about 4 years ago. It runs from
downtown along Market Street to the Castro where it makes a reversing loop.
I don't know what it does at the other end. It is powered from an overhead
power source. The electric buses also use a similar source.