 Trains / 13027
Re: Question for model RR gurus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 02:30:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Brown writes:
Why is it that there is such a huge chunk of the MRR hobby (both Lego and
traditional) that puts sooooo much time into automation?  My personal
suspicion is that it's just because automation is cool and fun, but I'm not
sure.

<snip>

Thanks for the responses, folks.  It sounds like a lot of it is for the fun
of the automation, but there's also some other good reasons that hadn't
occurred to me.  I'm really disconnected from traditional MRR, and the whole
aspect of size never came up when I was thinking about this.  Bow that it's
been pointed out though, I *know* that I'd be breaking things left and right
working on some of the tiny stuff I've seen people running.  I also tend to
forget that a lot of the traditional stuff is less robust that Lego.

I'd noticed that talking to folks at train shows meant I had no time for
operation, but I hadn't connected the dots backwards - that if I was
operating trains, I'd have no time to talk. :)

thanks,

James