 Trains / 13020
Re: Trolley line automation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:58:21 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote in message ...
In lugnet.trains, Robert Fay writes:
I guess I am going to show my age here. In Los Angeles, in the forties, • the
trolleys had a pole on both ends and the conductor simply pulled one down
and raised the other. He then sat in the seat at the other end of the car
and went the opposite way.

Same here in Melbourne (Aus), up till a few years ago when the last of the • "W"
class trams (which had a pole either end) were retired from service. It's a • bit
hard to automate this on a Lego layout, but maybe not impossible. You have • to
worry about things like points & cross tracks, and having some way to • ensure
the pole always "mates" with the wire when it's raised (especially • difficult if
the tram's on a corner).

Yes, this is how the ones I have seen work too. Is there actually going to
be wire on the layout, though? That will be something to see! I have seen it
done on O gauge MR layouts but it would take a lot of non-lego parts.

I guess it depends on whether you think the pole up / pole down is worth
bothering about compared to the many other non-prototypical things our Lego
trains do :-) I personally would be more surprised to see a trolley car
being turntabled at the end of its run, than I would notice whether the pole
is up or down at the correct end if there is no wire.

The SF cable cars are a special case and I don't think they can be compared
with standard trolley cars, if we're thinking of the same ones that go up
the steep hills.

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1