 Trains / 12072
12071  |  12073
Subject:
2x2 turntables vs 2x2-with-pin plates was Re: Un-powered replacement for train motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 23:09:47 GMT

Derek Raycraft wrote:

Cool, I was working on one of these too.

I did mine a little differently.   By replacing the bogie plate with a 2x2
plate with a pin out the top, the 1x2 plates with the center bump could be
placed in the groove part of the train wheels.  This means the height of the
dummy motor can be the same as the real motor.  You can also match the
locations of a coupler mounted on the motor.

The problem is the pin on the 2x2 plate is longer then the one on the bogie
plate.  This means an extra plate height of clearance is needed for it in the
interior of the train.

The dummy I made is a little longer then the actual motor.  It looks better
on the model I'm building this way.  I'm not sure its possible to make the
length exactly same, or account for those odd clippy things.

Derek

ps. before you call me one I already know I spelt dummy wrong on brickshelf.
:-)

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford writes:
OK. This has probably been done before, but here it is anyway.

http://www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/bogie

Enjoy!

ROSCO

I was going to use the 2x2-with-pin plate in my designs too, but I found the
2x2-with-pin plate to make my cars to tippy.

When I made my double-stack well cars (what is the right name for those?) I
decided to try the 2x2-with-pin plate to put a motor between the two cars. (My
train was getting heavy, and I needed a third motor somewhere. The space between
the two well cars seemed like a good place for a motor.) So, I put a 2x2 plate
and a 2x2-with-pin plate on each end of a motor, and attached the motor between
the ends of the two well cars. I noticed that as the cars went trough a 1-curve
turn the tops of the containers swayed back and forth. That is when I noticed a
little ridge on the bottom of the pin.

The ridge around the bottom of the pin holds the car up off the bogie plate, and
this allows the car to sway back an forth a bit. Normally, the car rests on the
bogie, so the car cannot sway back an forth. The sway was just enough to bother
me. When I replaced the 2x2-with-pin plate with a 2x2-turntable plate the sway
went away. Since I am running on flat layouts these days, there is no advantage
for a pin over a turntable, so I have decided to go with the turntable.

To make a long story short, 2x2-turntable plates have the disadvantage that they
do not allow trucks to pivot in the vertical plane, which is needed for going
into and out of inclines, and the 2x2-with-pin plate has the disadvantage that
it allows the cars to pivot to easily in the vertical plane perpendicular to the
direction of travel, which makes the cars wobble as they come out of curves. (A
bit like a centripetal force powered tilting mechanism that has gone horribly
awry ;)

Chris

PS Sorry, my well cars are not on my site, if they were I would have provided a link.

--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/