 Trains / 1153
  Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

I have finally had some time to build with LEGO. This time I've found a friend, and his name is BOB, oder: "Die Bayerische Oberlandbahn". BOB is a German passenger train. A friend of mine recently traveled to Germany and returned with a brochure (...) (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

(...) This looks great! Even TLG could do a set like this for cheap, and they should. This would even be cool in a monorail version. Now you've got me thinking about articulated cars again :) -Tom McD. (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

Wow! That's cool James. Just one nit, it seems that maybe the prototype has red doors on one side and blue on the other??? or else some of the brochure pictures are from different trainsets. I get the impression that the prototype has a middle (...) (25 years ago, 1-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

Very nice. The middle car looks great, very efficient use of windows. Very attractive! As, someone else already noted...LEGO should be desinging sets that look this nice! They would not be able to keep this model on the shelves. Thanks James, Chris (...) (25 years ago, 1-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

James, Nice train, I like it! I think I'll make one for my next show. Maybe I will use the parts from that new thing the TLG calls the Railway Express(4561). It has a lot of those 4x3 clear wall part that would make nice windows for this kind of (...) (25 years ago, 1-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

(...) BOB's coloring: The brochure's front cover art looks to have been "artisticly" enhanced, turning selective patches into grayscale images of varying contrast and color depth(?). I thought the same thing at first. BOB's total number of units: (...) (25 years ago, 2-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

(...) Robin, YES! My thoughts exactly about the windows from the upcoming 4561 set. Glad to see BOB have a brother. ;-) later, James Mathis (25 years ago, 2-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

(...) Wow. Double Wow. I finally got the chance to visit your page and I'm just amazed at the incredible amount of workmanship an imagination that went into this train. Anyone familiar with the actual train will be able to easily recognize it as (...) (25 years ago, 4-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

This is a great train. Well designed and looks realistic. Another time where James has pushed LEGO to it's limits. Why is one coach 1/3 of a brick higher than the rest of the train? Why did you decide not to have wheels in the centre? (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

(...) No good nor easy reason for the 1/3 brick height difference other than the fact that the 1/4-top curved bricks are 4/3 brick tall and I needed to accommodate the height requirements resulting from the front end cab structure. The front and (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

Oh my James, you've done it again. Another masterpiece! I think you did an excellent job of modeling BOB. Lots of detail to look at. Sounds like good playability too. :-) Tom (...) (25 years ago, 6-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Meet "BOB" the Passenger Train

James! this latest creation of yours defines the word 'genious'. Pure and simple. While many of us muddle about with new iterations of well-worn subjects, you continue to break new ground and think out of the box. I am humbled. The execution is very (...) (25 years ago, 8-May-99, to lugnet.trains)