 Trains / 11054
Re: Bridge Building Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 18:43:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
i've been pondering building a draw bridge between two tables.  i was
wondering if anyone else has tried that.  it would be easy for 4.5v but i
imagine you would have to custom make some rails to get the electrical
conncetion for 9v or 12v.

Hmm...lift bridges that I know of:
Mine
Ben Fleskes
GMLTC(?)

The GMLTC had a bascule bridge on our last layout:
(there is a vertical lift bridge behind it, but that one didn't work very
well... :-(  )

I don't have a picture of the bascule in the 'up' position, but I can
explain it pretty easily.  Pivot point is on the bottom left, the right side
drops down between two 1x2 roof 'apex' pieces that force it to center to
line up with the next span.  It leaves a 1 stud gap between the tracks, but
the trains jump that easily.

The bridge was very well balanced, with something like 17 2x2x6 weight
elements in the counterweight.  The bridge was moved by a micro-motor
attached to gears that hooked up with the horizontal bar from the top of the
truss.  The motor and the gears are hidden behind the black & green
locomotive.  The strings bracing the truss run through black technic pegs.
Yes, we're not "purists", it's non-LEGO string.  (gasp!)  But we tried to
find some string that looks like the stuff you'd find in a pirate ship set.
And without the string, the truss falls apart!

We built power clips onto the span to power the trains across, you can just
make them out on the left side.  They hooked up to the main track power
between the two bridges.

Only problem was there was no automatic power cut-off, so if the person
running the bridge and the person running the train didn't communicate,
things got somewhat messy...  <grin>

JohnG, GMLTC