 Trains / 11145
Re: Bridge Building Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 15:15:24 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
<snip> The GMLTC had a bascule bridge on our last layout:
</snip>

That's a very unusual design for bridge.... Is it modelled after an existing
bridge? Here in Holland we have loads of bridges (gotta get across all that
water you know...) and allthough we do have bascules, I never seen this type
of bridge been lifted. I'd be interested to see pics of the real thing.
I'll see if I can find some pics of dutch railway bridges.

Duq
We found a picture in a book on bridges.  There was only the one picture, in
the 'down' position.  We took a pencil and drew arcs on the picture (from
all the pivot points) to figure out how all the moving pieces worked.

It was a very popular bridge, because we could raise and lower it in the
time it took the train to make one circuit around the layout.  We'll
probably do something similar on our new layout, but it will have to be much
bigger to support the 8-wide trains!

JohnG, GMLTC