 Trains / 10335
Re: How the heck do I find out what model that engine I see going by is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:59:12 GMT

Special Duty 40-2 (the 2
meaning second pordction or rebuild)

Nope.  The -2 means that the electrics/electronics (the control gear) is based
on circuit boards, that are individually replaceable and more reliable than the
older control gear.  Most dash 2 models were new builds, rather than rebuilds.

a B unit is hooked up to another, mostly A unit, to make
one.  Railroads, mostly SF, have rebuilt wrecked locos to make B units, by
removing the cab.

ATSF ordered some more recently, as did (IIRC) BN (before they merged to be
BNSF).  These are more recent units with no cab, and no facility to move the
engine without a 2nd engine being hooked to it, unlike say a F unit, which a
FxB could be moved without a A unit attached, they had a little stand under one
porthole to allow for operation.