 Trains / 10293
Re: How the heck do I find out what model that engine I see going by is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:05:29 GMT

If I see a train go by, and want to know what model it is, how do I find
out, short of slogging through hundreds of pictures & model variations at
fan sites, and hoping my memory is up to the task?

I've recently discovered the joys of a Walthers catalog.  Walthers is a
model railroad distributor, and they publish a very large catalog every
year.  There are a lot of B/W side shots of rolling stock.  This is great
for browsing and IDing various things.  It is also very handy for a
reference of what real-world train stuff looks like.

You can buy the catalog ($15?) at a hobby shop.  You might also be able to
convince said hobby shop to give you or sell you last year's catalog for
cheap.  I got mine from one of the other members of my LTC after he got a
newer one at a train show (thanks, Rick!).  Mine is 10 years old, but that's
good enough for my purposes.

There may be a better way, but that seems to work well for me.  I first
found a picture in a coffee table book, then I looked it up in the catalog
to ID it.

(Who is still adamantly and irrevokably not a trainhead, but a serious
castle guy.  Honest.)

Yes, and I'm a space guy.  Trains and town are very seductive, though.  It's
a completely different exercise to build things you see around you as
opposed to things in your head that may have no reality.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com