 Trains / 10295
Re: How the heck do I find out what model that engine I see going by is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:47:53 GMT

James Brown wrote:

I figured I'd ask that here, since so many people are tossing around model
types, I figure someone ought to know...

If I see a train go by, and want to know what model it is, how do I find
out, short of slogging through hundreds of pictures & model variations at
fan sites, and hoping my memory is up to the task?

James
(Who is still adamantly and irrevokably not a trainhead, but a serious
castle guy.  Honest.)

If your close enough to read it the engine might have the class painted on it. I
watched a SD40-3 go by the other day. It looked just like an SD40-2 and I was
very surprised to see a -3. I am not a train spotter at all, I just didn't know
there was a -3, and the only reason I know a few of the names is because I saw a
picture with a name.

Chris