 Trains / 10333
Re: How the heck do I find out what model that engine I see going by is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:26:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Brown writes:

You'd think that you could look at a train engine and it would have the
equivalent of "Dodge Caravan" on it somewhere... <shrug>

Ah.

Yes, it does. It's called the "builder's plate" and if you can find it and
read it you'll know a lot about the locomotive. (who built it, what model it
is, when it was built) However, railfans (not GOOD railfans) have been known
to prise them off as souvenirs.

Also it's not something you're likely to be able to read from a train going
by, the print is pretty fine. I think the roads assume that if you need to
know, you're an employee, and you know how to tell by looking, or you can
radio the engineer and ask... and if you can't do those things, you don't
need to know.

US railroads mostly don't like railfans any more, too many of them did
boneheaded things (like prise builders plates off, and trespass in unsafe
ways to get shots).

Note that there also is something you'll see on a lot of locos which is info
about who holds the lease on it. That often is a plate but may  be
stencilled on.

++Lar