 Trains / 10194
Re: Green line pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:53:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Shaun Sullivan writes:
If you're comfortable with having it be 8 wide, is there any way you can
incorporate the new SW 1/4 round eight wide cylinders?  The center section can
use two of these, one on each side.  Both ends of the car can attach to the
center section with 2xn plates which are allowed to rotate around the center >of the circle.  Then, to seal it, you only have to build the car sidewalls as
close as possible to the 1/4 rounds. If you can get them to within 1/16 inch
or so of the rounded surface, you'll never be able to see inside, really,
could you?  And there wouldn't be any appreciable gap.  To get the car
sidewalls closer, could you use tiles with studs facing out near the center
section?  I'm not sure that this idea is being conveyed very well here - I
can see it in my mind, but my words are failing me.

So I drew a quick sketch in MS Word.  It can be found under the appropriate
title "TrainConcept" on my Brickshelf gallery, in the "miscellanous" folder -

I can't see why something like this isn't feasible - any thoughts?

Actually I tried something like that-- although I didn't use the 1/4 8-wide
thinwall cylinders because the colors were wrong-- instead I tried using 1/4
8-wide 'pie piece' bricks, stacked on top of one another (Though I can't
remember if I had white ones-- I know I had green ones). There were a couple
problems I ran into that made me give up on the idea, though if I hadn't
come across the sliding solution, I probably would have gone back to trying
to make that work...

Anyway, that was one of my first inclinations-- The most basic problem being
color, unfortunately, since the thinwalls are only in grey and decorated
white at the moment... But the same idea can use the 1/4 8-wide "pie wedge"
bricks & plates, which I believe ARE available in grey (plates), green
(bricks), and white (bricks and maybe plates too?) And the only issue with
using the "pie wedge" bricks is that the center becomes a little tight for
space (where the hinges would be), but that's workaroundable with only
slight discomfort.

My first attempt in that ballpark was using bricks to 'cover' and 'meet up
with' the rounded section, although I found that in order to be smooth, it
either left too much of a gap or pushed the middlemost window further to the
ends by a couple studs (that was using hinges, IIRC)

The 2nd attempt I made was with plates to do the same job, but I ran into
two more issues there... the gaps were certainly lessened, but again the
middlemost window was pushed back a little too far. And of course the other
issues were that the stripes didn't line up 'perfectly' and that I didn't
have nearly the green tiles I'd need to fill the panels with...

However, I'm not convinced that this method isn't plausible-- I just
couldn't get it working well enough before stumbling (more or less) on the
sliding technique and really liking it... But if you want to take a stab at
it, that'd be really cool... If you get anything that works, lemme know, and
I'll be happy to try stealing your idea :)

DaveE