 Trains / *9964 (-20)
  Re: Lightweight show tables

(...) layout that resides in his living room. I don't think the foam will stand (...) crack 1" foam by putting too much weight on it. It's _very_ easy to put a hand through 1/4" beadboard, especially when one falls, and the layout ends up under you (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian Trains in Berkeley? Mooo!

(...) They are definitely longer than mine :)/ I've fired off my stuff to Steve, including the FP loco. I didn't get to fitting a fuel tank to it (I haven't yet come up with a good way to make one...), but it was finished apart from that. It too (...) (24 years ago, 28-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Union Pacific GP-15 by Brian Stokes

(Brian Stokes is posting this message using Brad's computer) This is a GP-15 in the Union Pacific color scheme. You can find pictures on Brickshelf on the link below. (URL) was built around a month ago and took about 5 hours. A neat aspect of the (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: Canadian Trains from California?

(...) Also, I loved your pictures of the LRC. Those are awesome shots! I've always thought the LRC is North America's most aesthetically pleasing train. The nose is so wonderful! I really wonder if it would translate well into LEGO. Don't forget to (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: 'Article from Tommorow' < Warning Speculative!!>

(...) at: (URL) their homepage, click on "Get Started Now"-link in the top-right corner of this page. Read the page you are transferred to obtain some background information, then proceed by clicking the "New User"-link at the bottom of the page, (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Canadian Trains from California?

(...) I too have made a lego VIA model (engine only ) (URL) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lightweight show tables

(...) Compression should be minimal unless you manage to create a fairly concentrated force. Using baseplates on top would eliminate most of the possibilities of the LEGO causing localized damage. (...) They look about the same to me. On the other (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lightweight show tables

(...) Yes, you do need quite a bit of force to break it but it could happen, especially at a show situation. Another issue I ahve with foam is that it could be crushed/compressed making it a poor building surface. (...) dense blue (or was it pink- (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lightweight show tables

(...) For the curious, I'll wander by the foam plant on Monday, and see if I can grab a spec sheet on Dowboard. I know they measure for torsional stress tolerances, and horizontal shearing strength, and other technical terms. :) James (there are (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lightweight show tables

(...) I think you have to work pretty hard to break it, though perhaps the 3 layers of 1/2" foam is significantly stronger (there is glue between the layers which might serve to strengthen it somewhat). My tables have had QUITE a bit of abuse and I (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lightweight show tables

(...) 5/8" is WAY thicker than you need, and particle board is heavier than plywood. The 3/8" that PNLTC specs is probably a good choice, though 1/4" is thick enough also. Frank (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 'Article from Tommorow' < Warning Speculative!!>

(...) Where can I get LDraw ???? Michael Pratt (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Limacion track design is BUILT!

"Brad Hamilton" <bhamilto1@home.com> wrote in message news:G7spqq.H3E@lugnet.com... (...) Thanks. (...) of (...) I'll admit, I did use some reference from a book titled "The Way Things Work"(I honestly don't know if it's still being published, (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lightweight show tables

(...) I have built a table similar to the one you describe for my dad's N-scale layout that resides in his living room. I don't think the foam will stand up to the abuse put forth by building with lego on it. It's pretty easy to crack 1" foam by (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tapping into the Track's electricity

"Doug Pegram" <DPegram@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:G7twMo.Cu5@lugnet.com... (...) FRED! Flashing Rear End Device. Maybe that's just a Canadian thing, though... I prefer FRED to "EOT". :) Iain (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tapping into the Track's electricity

(...) On freight trains in the US(specifically the FEC RR and probably others) they use an "End of Train" device that appears to onlookers as a small box with a slow flashing strobe light, although how you would configure the flash is beyond me. (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Article from Tommorow ("Switchtrack") < Warning Speculative!!>

<Warning!! This post contains speculative musings on possible new products. These are enclosed by <FUTURE></FUTURE> tags..> (...) <FUTURE> One of the 'technical' differences between Marklin's system and Lego Mindstroms that the joint design tema had (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Article from Tommorow ("Switchtrack") < Warning Speculative!!>

(...) Re-Read what was said in the orignal message!! (...) <FUTURE> So Hopefully The only thing that will need changing on exsiting non DCC-layouts is the pointwork although A question put through to the Ask TLG? service ('Will you be working on (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Lightweight show tables

Currently our tables are made with 5/8 particle board tops and are about 3'x6'. We recently did a show for the Atlanta History Center and had to carry these beast up two flights of stairs to the room where we were displaying. I tell you after that (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Has anyone motorized the monorail station tracks?

(...) Ludo Soete has put together some designs of this at his web page: (URL) well, Andreas Stabno (URL) (24 years ago, 27-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact