 Trains / 9412
Re: Lightweight show tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:49:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:
Christopher Tracey wrote:

I have built a table similar to the one you describe for my dad's N-scale
layout that resides in his living room.  I don't think the foam will stand
up to the abuse put forth by building with lego on it.  It's pretty easy to
crack 1" foam by putting too much weight on it.

I think you have to work pretty hard to break it, though perhaps the 3
layers of 1/2" foam is significantly stronger (there is glue between the
layers which might serve to strengthen it somewhat). My tables have had
QUITE a bit of abuse and I have not cracked them at all.

Did you use the dense blue foam or the white beaded foam?

For the curious, I'll wander by the foam plant on Monday, and see if I can grab
a spec sheet on Dowboard.  I know they measure for torsional stress tolerances,
and horizontal shearing strength, and other technical terms. :)

James
(there are advantages to working at Dow)