 Trains / 9395
9394  |  9396
Subject:
Lightweight show tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:22:23 GMT

I don't know about other groups but the biggest pain for me with our club is
the loading/unloading of the heavy tables. Recently there has been some talk
on my local NMRA discussion group about lightweight foam top tables
(Styrofoam --EXTRUDED foam  such as "Dow Board", "blue-board, etc. -- as
used in building material, not beaded foam which is too weak.)

From what I've gathered the idea is that you would have a strong frame maybe
wood or some type carbon resin beams, then either a mesh or framed supports
in the middle and the foam board for the top. You wouldn't put anything
super heavy on this but heck it would defiantly hold some buildings, track
and some trains. I'm waiting for one of the NMRA members to send me the name
of a book that talks about how to build such tables in detail.

Has anyone seen such a table or maybe even built one themselves?

jt

--
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club