 Trains / 9420
Re: Lightweight show tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 01:19:28 GMT

Has anyone seen such a table or maybe even built one themselves?

I have built a table similar to the one you describe for my dad's N-scale • layout that resides in his living room.  I don't think the foam will stand
up to the abuse put forth by building with lego on it.  It's pretty easy to
crack 1" foam by putting too much weight on it.

It's _very_ easy to put a hand through 1/4" beadboard, especially when one
falls, and the layout ends up under you :(.  (That was in 96, with a OO scale
layout...).  My current OO layout uses a plywood frame, with styrofoam for the
surface.  I find that it workes out quite well, weighing in at about 35 lbs for
a 14" by 72" layout (the other layout was 6x18', quite a difference in size).
My experience in making the larger layout helped convince me to make the
smaller layout using styrofoam, and it survived a few airline trips (so far)
quite well.  However, it is quite a bit narrower than most model RR's are, and
I am not sure if you would have to joist a wider segment of styrofoam to
prevent it sagging.  I believe that Model Railroader has had a series in the
last 4 years or so that included quite a bit on styrofoam roadbed construction,
perhaps under the Manamee Road?  (IIRC, anyway).

James Powell