 Town / 9264
Re: Sniffing around for a firehouse (Was: Manchester's Millyard in the news)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:48:02 GMT

Being a fan of the old style fire stations like these, I must say, this part of the country is probably one of the best areas for the historic fire stations. Where I grew up they had several of these, and the best part is, most of these are now considered historical, so they can not be torn dowm. They are usually converted into community centers, or elderly housing. Here are several from around me that I just love

http://www.massmetrofire.org/images/CambridgeHQ.jpg

http://www.massmetrofire.org/images/SomervilleSta7.jpg

http://www.massmetrofire.org/images/SomervilleSta6.jpg

http://www.massmetrofire.org/images/CambridgeSta4.jpg

Also, being lucky enough to have worked on the Millyard project, I was able to design a station of my own, using the same techniques used to build the Millyard Factories

http://www.stlegofd.com/station10.html

I have to say, the peoject was one of the most fun I’ve things ever done. Just being able to work with so many bricks, and be able to build something that will be permenant and so historic was such a good time. Just the fact that Kjeld flew all the way from Denmark to be there for the unveiling should be a testament to the scope and importance of this project.

Tom D

In lugnet.mediawatch, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
   Apologies for replying to my own post . . . but,

I actually lived within a mile from the Merrimack River (in Mass) in the early 70’s. From ‘74-78 I believe.

   I remember visiting a firehouse with a tall hose tower on the banks of the river

And, there it is: http://www.nefirenews.com/mass/HaverhillHQ.jpg

I think it is a nice looking station. But, rummaging around the firenews website I came across another Haverhill, MA station that I think is just gorgeous!

http://www.nefirenews.com/mass/HaverhillSta1.jpg

In my opinion, that is a beauty!

Jonathan