 Town / 65
Re: Current Town Projects
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:30:47 GMT

Sanjay D'Souza <sds87@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:FIBsDA.173@lugnet.com...
So what Town/City projects are people working on?  From memory I've seen
about 8-10 different town setups on the web but I'm sure there must be
more.

I'm planning a large combined railway/monorail station -
but it's not based solely on trains -
a large part of it will be the buildings around it so I guess that sort of
counts as town.

(Planning means I had started to build it but then I temporarily took it
to bits again since I decided I really ought to build the unopened pile
of sets I've got first so I can at least find out what bricks I have to
build
with :) )

(And in answer to Erin's later question about elevated roads - my station
will include them as part of the road bridge over the railway tracks. But
I'm
afraid it's likely to be several months before I'm in a position to post any
piccies. Main problem I found in planning it was figuring out how to get
enough bricks to support the raised roadway.  Fitting a Metroliner-sized
train under it needs minimum 12 bricks clearance.
I got to one point where I very nearly went
out to buy some Duplo bricks after my calculations of basic bricks needed
started to head into the thousands - all in the same colour.
Then an idea occurred to me and I
suddenly developed a strange liking for BURPs...)

I also have a couple of follow-up projects that I'd like to do next year.
1. Something similar to Sanjay's one - trying to see how close to a
sensible looking town I can create relying mostly on actual sets rather
than my own buildings
2. A town centre with bus station attached to an indoor pedestrian
shopping precinct.

PPS:  Is it me or are Townies becoming an endangered species?    I've only
ever met one other Townie who is as passionate about LEGO Town as I am.

Well I like town. In fact I'll have to confess I even rather like some of
the
town Jr sets. I think it makes a nice change to have sets that aren't
stuffed out
with 1x1 and 1x2 plates and 1x1 round plates and 1x1 plates with side
attachments - which I just can't use in anything like the numbers that they
crop up in traditional sets.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com