 Town / 648
Re: Once Again, Legoville...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 16:34:20 GMT

Your second city looks a lot better than the first.

I think you are on the right track.

I have some alternate suggestions that I don't think have been posted yet.

Consider learning a bit about REAL architecture.  I've found that this has
inspired me quite a bit.

Possibilities:

- Take an art history class at a local JC or college.

- Buy or borrow (from the library) a book on art history. I was too lazy to
take a class, so this is what I did.  There is a "classic" book called
"Gardner's Art Through the Ages" that covers pretty much everything.  It is
a little dry, but you can skip around, and even just look at some of the
pictures.

- Search on the internet.  To do this, you have to have some idea of what
you are looking for.  Suggested movements to use as search keys might be
classical, gothic, romanesque, gothic, art-deco, baroque, paladian,
neo-classical, and victorian.  It is also inspiring to look at art from
certain movements like realism, futurism, cubism, and others.

- Visit a large city.  If you live near a large city and have done a little
bit of research, you will find a plethora of great examples of architectural
styles.  New York City has the best quantity and quality of buildings in the
US, but just about any city should have some examples.   Victorian and
Art-Deco seem to be particularly well represented.  Also, look at some of
the modern buildings.  For instance, in Atlanta, there are several beautiful
sky-scrapers.  The "Sun Trust" building is my favorite.  It is decked out
like the Wizard of OZ inside.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.  If you look at the buildings on my site, you
will see that they mix a variety of different architectural themes,
sometimes within the same building. I don't explicitly set out to build with
a certain style.  The plastic just seems to go in its own directly.  When I
see something I like, I enhance and exploit it.

Here is my site:

http://members.home.net/bhamilto1/lego.htm
Jonas Marcho <bolahead@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
I'm sure that quite a few of you fellow adult fans of Lego were eager to • see
how Legoville turned out, but looking over it this morning, it seems to me • as
if my 'Town' has turned into a 'Town, Jr'. Why? As it would appear, I have • no
sense of modern architecture.

My 'Town Hall' is just a modified version of 4554. My Police Station and • Fire
Department both came in 6464, and virtually all my buildings with the
exception of a few, which I will discuss below, are all sets made by TLG • such
as 6350, 3438, and 6424.

As for the buildings I have created, they all resemble boxes. Each is • jagged
and squared off; there is barely ANY room within, and the exteriors are so
poorly desgined that it makes me sick. Worst of all is the new Grocery • Store
that resembles a sanitarium much less a place where food is sold.

Worst of all, a dispondend and quite drunk friend of mine splattered his
Sprite all over Legoville, and this morning the town is just sticky • despite my
best efforts to clean it. It looks as it I am going to have to take the • entire
town apart and wash the peices so that they don't attract more dust.

Personally, I feel that I should be doing more for Legoville. Are there • any
Lego towns that I should look at to help me realize a sense of • architecture?
Perhaps there are even some sets I should take a look at in the set • database
that could help 'inspire' me.

I am on the verge of another Dark Age. If you have any suggestions on what • I
should do, let me know.