 Town / 618
Re: Once Again, Legoville...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:27:05 GMT

Jonas Marcho wrote:
As for the buildings I have created, they all resemble boxes. Each is jagged
and squared off; there is barely ANY room within, and the exteriors are so
poorly desgined that it makes me sick. Worst of all is the new Grocery Store
that resembles a sanitarium much less a place where food is sold.

First of all, Jonas, don't despair. This is a learning process! The gret
thing with Lego is that you can undo and rebuild so easily.

Here's some ideas of where the problems you're having might be coming
from...

You may be trying to make your buildings too small. Most Lego set
buildings (especially the more recent ones) are ridiculously small in
scale with the minifigs. The smaller the building, the harder it is to
make it look realistic and teh less space you have to add realistic
detail. You're better off making fewer and larger buildings, IMO.

Modern buildings often are very boxy and boring looking. The trick is to
add lots of small details to add interest. This also allows you to make
it more obvious what the building you're making actually is supposed to
be (after all, there's no structural difference between, say, a florist
and a bicycle shop!). Lego sets are very good for getting ideas for
details.

One handicap with Lego is the lack of signage. Real towns are PLASTERED
with signs, adverts, etc and if you took them all away the place would
look quite different. Adding lots of detail helps to replace the signs.

Although all of us live in real places with real buildings, it's amazing
when I come to sit down and make  amodel how little I remember of what
the buildings really look like! Get out and really *look* at the
buildings around you: ideally, sketch them (no-one else needs to see the
pics, you don't have to be a great artist: the idea is more to make
yourself really *look*) or next best, take photos. Roofs are an area
where real buildings have lots of character which we almost never look
at, but roofs are very obvious in a model (because we often look at it
from overhead) and they really need details.

Hope some of these ideas help! There are a couple of towns on my
personal web page (below) which you are welcome to take a look at.

Kevin

--
Personal Lego Web page:
eBay auctions:http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kevinw1/