 Town / 6179
Re: New Pics: Buildings!Buildings!Buildings! Exotic Colors:-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 18:46:30 GMT

In lugnet.town, Jonathan Lopes writes:

Nice stuff. I really like the large gray building....looks like the
warehouse/factory buildings in Long Island City, Queens. I like the look of
the first floor with the 'blocked in' windows.

Thanks, Jonathan.  That building is an interesting story.  I actually built it
over a year ago; I originally built it to appear on the GMLTC layout, but
another building ended up taking its place:

Your assessment is precisely the effect I was after-- nothing fancy, just a
plain, drab, backdrop building.  The original idea was to create a plain
building that wouldn't compete visually with the impressive GMLTC train station
(which was in the foreground)

I actually like the Maersk blue and sand green coloring for buldings as well
(the pink can go :o)

lol I didn't really want to use pink, but I thought it worked well with the
sand green and I *had* it but didn't know what to *do* with it (so I used it:-)

...they come off as a little muted (as opposed to the
overbearing brightness of typical colors, blue, red etc).

Well spoken, my Ashcan friend.  We are of one mind here!

Which buildings that you created do you consider 'brownstones'? I wonder if
brownstone has a different meaning in different parts of the country? To me
a brownstone is a city type house....not necessarily having a street level
store. Usually a building (brick, stone, mortar...not wood) with a basement
apartment, first, 2nd and 3rd floors--all livable.

lol my misnomer.  I *literary* meant brown stones (ie the brown buildings:-) My
buildings are more of the type of having a business on the first floor, and
apartments above.  Front stairs eat up real estate, and my idea was too make
these as thin as possible.

Thanks for the comments, brother;-)

JOHN