 Town / 6171
Re: New Pics: Buildings!Buildings!Buildings! Exotic Colors:-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 06:37:51 GMT

In lugnet.town, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, John Neal writes:
I have completed a project that I began about 3 years ago-- constructing
buildings for the TCLTC layout.  All of the buildings that will appear on the
layout can now be seen here:

It's hard to type 'WOW' in large enough letters.  Your use of color is
excellent, matched only by your use of ornamentation to give the buildings
such a wonderful sense of realism.

Thank you for your kind words, Allan.

This pic is my fav:

That awning just blew me away.

These elements, as well as the other smaller half-rounds are my favorite
elements:-)

Is it correct to say that some of the buildings are just facades?  Some
appear to have shallow sides, but I can't tell if there's a back or not.
Example:

Yes.  I call them "backdrop buildings", and they all are only 10 studs deep.  I
utilize them along the back of modules, in order to save space for tracks and
such.  The buildings that are larger appear in the middle of modules.

If so, I'm wondering if you use any sort of bracing that isn't seen from the
front.  I am working on a large facade, which I found required reinforcing
to help stabilize the front wall especially.  So I'm curious to know what's
behind the scenes in some of your buildings.

Yes, I am bracing the larger buildings.  Since the distance from front to back
is only 10 studs, I am able to send beams from the facade to the back to
stiffen the walls.  I disguise the braces, so they aren't apparent unless the
buildings are torn open.  The bracing, however, isn't anything fancy or
complicated.  None of my buildings are detailed on the insides.  They are all
about exterior appearances.

Also, I really enjoy your detail work.  Especially the type of work seen in
this one:

Are you using any architectural resources (either printed or online) or are
you taking these from personal observations/photos etc.?

Ah, that one is the *first* building I made.  Interestingly, the idea for it
started with this element, the trap door plate:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=trap

I acquired a lot of sets that contained this part in tan and I was fiddling
with it and came up with the cornice idea.  The rest of the building went from
there.  It's funny-- when I build trains, I work from photos and schematics
without fail.  But with buildings, it is all from my head, always considering
various elements that have good textures that might give interesting looks.
The only building that I have actually modeled from a prototype is my
interlocking tower, after the Eau Claire, Wisconsin tower.

Thanks for the look at this wonderful world you're creating!

Thank you!

JOHN