 Town / 57
Re: A use for TownJr
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 00:32:01 GMT

In lugnet.town, Matthew Miller writes:
Jonathan Wilson <wilsonj@xoommail.com> wrote:
Lego is not appropriate for a 2 yr old It says "contains small parts. not
for children under 3" or something like that on the box.

I have to admit I've actually read that on set boxes too. Welcome to the world
of the parent. Thanks for stopping by.

Sure, but not all children are the same. If your child understands not to
put them in his/her mouth, and you're there to supervise, it's probably okay
to disregard the warning.

Absolutely. Why wouldn't it be? Theoretically, you could give your child
anything, (for an absurd example, a martial arts throwing star ;-) and if you
were there supervising to keep your child from causing (self-)injury, it would
be okay from an physical-injury-alone standpoint. But who wants to do that?
Nobody. Not very many people could intervene quickly enough to prevent injury.
So you make a judgement call as to what the child gets to play with, and how
well you can/want to "police" the interaction with it.

My daughter was playing with my collection at 2 years with my supervision, and
not putting it in her mouth anymore, so I could trust her when I was
concentrating. The problems with her are/was that she'd drop pieces (so that
they could become lost) and occasionally would inadvertantly trample them. It
therefore wasn't a safety issue with her so much as it was a safety issue with
the pieces! I don't want 20 year old transparent pieces cracked in a moment of
indiscretion.

-Tom McD.
when replying, have a good ol' country breakfast: spamcakes and sausages!