 Town / 49
48  |  50
Subject:
A use for TownJr
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 01:53:08 GMT

I'm not intending to open a can of worms here, but up until now I've
remained silent on the TownJr. bashing.

Here's the way I see it:

    I took the kids to TRU yesterday and picked up a couple of smaller sets.
My 2 1/2 year old son is as fascinated with Lego as I am.  Rather than let
him continue to dismantle my various pieces of pre-1985 fire apparatus, I
decided to buy a set that could be dismantled, broken, lost, eaten, etc.

He likes, as most young boys are taught, cars and trucks.  (Big truck,
Daddy!)  I decided on the 6468 Tow-n-Go set.  It has a "big truck," the
wrecker, and a race car.

When we got home, he was excited about my Lego purchases and spread them all
out on the floor.  I sat down with him, opened  6468 for him,  and dumped
the bag for the race car.  I placed the instructions before him and spread
the pieces out so he could identify them, then showed him the the pictures
in the instructions and told him to "look at the picture and put it where it
goes."

He built it, asking me for help only when he couldn't get a piece to
"click."  (He's only two)  Oh--I had to put the hubs in the tires--he wasn't
quite strong enough to force them quickly, and he didn't want to wait.

I then laid out the tow-truck in the same fashion.  After I popped the hubs
in, he built it, too; again with minimal help on my part.

And for the rest of last night and today, he's been tearing down and
rebuilding both of them without my help.  He loves the tow-truck--he hooks
his Hot Wheels cars up to it and drags them around the living room.

I have therefore concluded that Town Jr. *does* have its place in our
society--it's not too simplistic--they just have to ages wrong.(1)

Brian (bbq) Sauls
(My 5 yr. old daughter assembles all my polybags and small sets--when do *I*
get to play?)

(1)  I realize that the minimum age is five because of the risk of
choking--that's where adult supervision comes in.