 Town / 2427
Re: Town building contest voting - possible problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:06:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Kevin:

I wrote to Shane Brunazzi - warning of the possibility that someone was
multi-voting for his and other models. His reply, in part (posted with
permission) follows:

     Second, I thought that this contest voting was open to everyone.  I
forwarded the voting site address to all my friends.  And I told them to • vote
for shane & hilary.  I am sorry if this messed up the contest.  I followed
the rules as I knew them to be.

Considering that the competition is about which model is best
according to whatever criteria we happen to decide on, I am
very disappointed that somebody asks their friends to vote
selectively for their own models. There is nothing wrong with
inform everybody and their grandparents of the voting, but
telling them what to vote is against the spirit of the
competition.

For future competitions - and this one if it isn't too late -
I suggest that we use either:

* dictatorial decision by to competition organiser
* voting only by the participants - and never for one of
   your own models
* a rating system open to anybody
* guiding voting/rating followed by a dictatorial
   decision by to competition organiser

If the a rating system is set up so people are handed a
random entry to rate every time this kind of undesireable
behaviour will be limited since people on average will have
to reload the rating page half as many times as there are
models (in this case around hundred times).

Play well,

Jacob